Have you ever wondered what the difference between a PCP and an eye doctor is? We have, too! Or are you having blurry vision and eye irritation but unsure where to go? Should I go to an internal medicine doctor or someone specializing in eye conditions? Don’t worry! Ditch your confusion, as we have developed a guide that will tell you about both and when to see them. So, let’s read further to choose the best one for you.

Different Roles of a PCP and Ophthalmologist

Confusion can hit at this point, where your health comes in. You are not alone! Many people get tripped up by their differences and are confused about whom to choose. The following is a breakdown.

Internal Medicine Doctor

An internal medicine doctor is known as an internist and is also your adult health quarterback. They have expertise in diagnosing and treating the conditions of grown-ups. An internist focuses on internal organs and systems and will deal with heart diseases, high BP, routine checkups, and whatnot. They will keep you healthy and away from disease, topping up your health game. Moreover, they can also address acute illness and coordinate care.


Ophthalmologists are medical professionals who have completed years of extra training focused on treating eye conditions. They diagnose and treat many eye disorders, including myopia, cataracts (cloudy lenses), and glaucoma (increased eye pressure). Moreover, they are the ultimate eye experts. An ophthalmologist can also do delicate operations like laser vision correction and cataract surgery. In summary, an ophthalmologist has the training and expertise to care for your eyes.

When should you see an internal medicine doctor for eye concerns?

While an internist or internal medicine doctor is an excellent source for your overall health, they might not be the best first stop for your eye concerns. They are responsible for addressing fundamental issues, including routine checkups, mild irritation, and even blurry visions that a cold might cause. But your specialized eye concerns must be checked by an expert. Your internist will likely recommend you to an ophthalmologist for in-depth evaluation.

When should you see an ophthalmologist for eye concerns?

Don’t wait any longer if you are experiencing sudden vision changes or flashing lights. An ophthalmologist should be your only option if you are experiencing any disease, including glaucoma or cataracts, or even eye pain, injuries, or complications. If you have diabetes or a family history of eye problems, regular eye exams are crucial. Don’t hesitate to seek expert care for your precious peepers!

Schedule Your Checkup with Mobee Medical!

Are you also searching for the best internal medicine doctor in your area? Mobee Medical is here to serve you with the best-certified internists specializing in Diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, pulmonary disease, thyroid disorders, telehealth services, hyperlipidemia, and much more. Our doctors will work with you and provide proper care and management to cope with your disease as soon as possible. Schedule your appointment today and take charge of your well-being! Contact us for a healthier you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *